Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Life and Times of an Irish Crime Reporter

Veronica Guerin by Emily O'Reilly

As I have said many times before, movies frequently trigger what I read. In the case of this book, it was two movies that triggered my search for books about this story. I first learned of this story, when I happened to have rented the movie, When the Sky Falls with Joan Allen in the lead role, in 2001. Allen plays a public relations agent turned journalist, Sinead Hamilton, who becomes appalled at the corruption and drug trafficking occurring in the capital city of Ireland. This movie, based on the true story of Irish journalist Veronica Guerin, came out just a year after the death of Guerin.

After I saw the movie, Veronica Guerin by Joel Schumacher, two years later, I knew I had to find out more about this person. I eventually was able to get my hands on this book by Emily O'Reilly, and another one, entitled Evil Empire: The Irish Mob and the Assassination of Journalist Veronica Guerin by Paul Williams. (I have not yet read this book).

The book (above) by O'Reilly is not a biography. Instead it is a critical analysis of Guerin's journalistic practices and her newspaper's (Sunday Independent) lack of editorial control and ethical standards. While O'Reilly praises Guerin for being a good journalist and writer, she accuses her of using unethical and risky methods to obtain information. O'Reilly also asserts that the Sunday Independent was aware of the dangers facing Guerin but did nothing to protect her.

Admittedly, I was taken aback by the direction of this book. But I decided, as a former journalist, that I needed to look at both sides of the story and controversy that has surrounded Veronica Guerin's tragic death. Kirkus Reviews calls O'Reilly's book, "A shallow, one-sided, and gratuitous indictment of slain Irish crime reporter Veronica Guerin and the Sunday Independent newspaper." The Sunday Independent is described by O'Reilly as a tabloid like paper only interested in sensationalizing stories and relating gossip. The author accuses the paper of intentionally using Guerin's determined approach in getting the story in order to market her as a crusading media star, only exposing her to more danger. To a certain extent O'Reilly does present a valid argument. This should not diminish the tragic circumstances and one's admiration for a real journalist who risked her life to get the whole story.

The movie is a must see. When I get a chance to read the Evil Empire book, I will let you know how that book presents Veronica Guerin's life.

No comments: